Only in Trieste
A Guide to Unique Locations, Hidden Corners and Unusual Objects
Author: Duncan JD Smith
Publisher: The Urban Explorer
Edition: 1 (2023)
Specification: Paperback, 120 pages, 56 colour photos & one fold-out map, 13.5 x 21cm
Prices: £ 10.95, € 12.90, US$ 16.00, CDN$ 22.00
Coming late 2023! Discover Trieste’s Habsburg-era glories, multi-ethnic influences and burgeoning cultural life with this explorer’s guide to Italy’s alternative city destination. The first real English-language guide to the city in many years.
Reliable and hugely stimulating. The author brings to the series the gaze of the enquiring outsider. A refreshing alternative to the prevailing tide of uniformity favoured by too many travel guides.Hidden Europe
• A ground-breaking illustrated guide to 55 fascinating and unusual historical sites in Italy’s unsung port city and beyond. Roman ruins and cavernous caves, wartime tales and seaside traditions, classic cafés and museums galore.
• From Italy’s oldest dinosaur and the Theresian Aqueduct to Fascist skyscrapers and a Brutalist housing complex.
• The first Museum of Wind, the footsteps of James Joyce, the Pharaoh’s Villa, and Tito’s quarry of death.
• Miramare Castle, the Victory Lighthouse, segregated sea bathing, and the world’s biggest regatta.
• The ideal city guide for travellers who want to escape the crowds and go beyond the well-known paths, as well as for those inhabitants who perhaps thought they already knew their city.
TRIESTE REVIEWS AND ARTICLES: